Introduction to Promoted by Bozi Dar – How to Get a Promotion Fast
Want to get a promotion fast? In the book, Promoted by Bozi Dar, he teaches you how to get a promotion fast. The book has a lot of very good information that you can implement immediately, and I found myself taking a lot of notes while reading. The book provides career advice you wish you’d known earlier.
Published just over a month ago, the author gave away thousands of copies of the book, enabling it to reach the Amazon bestseller status. I received a free copy that I read and am reviewing. The views expressed in this book review/summary are my own.
Although Bozi Dar gave away thousands of copies of Promoted, he also wants readers to buy his more expensive course that gives more detailed information.
What struck me first about Promoted, is that the author starts out the book by replicating an old Wall street Journal ad, first sent out in 1974. I studied a lot of old ads in the past, so I immediately recognized the story. The ad is the most successful letter in the world, which says a lot. Despite that, there is some solid information on how to get a promotion fast.
According to Bozi Dar’s promise:
“You see, this book offers you a unique career acceleration strategy (which I often refer to as the Career Acceleration Formula). It’s the only strategy that promises to get you promoted within 6 to 12 months, based on the experience of hundreds of my students. It’s the only strategy out there that’s helped unemployed graduates get their dream job AND helped grizzled corporate veterans to reignite their career.”
I want to reiterate that Promoted by Bozi Dar has a lot of solid information. But close to the end of the book, what the author does, instead of explaining some concepts adequately, he glosses over them, then writes that he provides more details in his course. An example is a section titled, 4 Magic Circles You Need to Master. Here is what he writes,
“Now that you know the six principles of influence, the question remains, whom do you influence in your organization? I cover this in detail [in] my course. Instead of influencing everyone you can, which will be a waste of time and energy, you can instead focus your efforts on what I call the 4 Magic Circles. These are the people who, if you focus your efforts on, you’ll be able to achieve your next job title in 10X less time.”
How to Get a Promotion Fast Strategies
The biggest mistake many professionals make is not having a career advancement strategy. One of the things the author emphasizes in his book, is to be careful of who you accept career advice from. Have the people successfully done what they are advising you to do?
Dar talks about the 10 Percent Club, and I like the concept very much. People in the 10 Percent Club are aware of the hidden job market. Those are the jobs they go after when they want to get a promotion fast. Seventy percent of the jobs available are hidden – not advertised. In the hidden job market, you can create your own job, or apply for an unadvertised position. Ninety percent of employees are applying for the 30 percent of jobs that are in the open job market, while 10 percent are getting 70 percent of the jobs.
Want to learn how to get a promotion fast? You have to learn how to access the hidden job market. You have to move into the 10 Percent Club. You have to 10X your thinking. What can you do in your career today to get 10X the results?
Related Post: Summary: The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone
How to Get a Promotion Fast: 5 Things to Expect on Your Promotion Journey
- Results: If you take the right action, you’ll get results. You’ll get meaningful projects that can accelerate your career. You’ll also be among the top 10 percent of the highest paid in the company.
- Counterintuitive Ideas: More than likely, you’re socialized to the 90 percent crowd. You follow traditional career advice to get so-so results. If you adjust your thinking to the 10 Percent Club, you’ll get better results. Counterintuitive ideas can accelerate your career trajectory. What is the “one big thing” to do that with 10X your results?
- Unlearn to Learn: There are times in life when you have to revisit the way you’ve always done things – shake-up the status quo. Unlearn what you know, to open up yourself to try something much different. It’s okay to change your mind. George Bernard Shaw once said, “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”
- Ordinary vs Extraordinary: Ordinary employees are members of the 90 Percent Club, while extraordinary employees hold membership in the 10 Percent Club. Please see the Table below for the differences.
- Celebration: It’s good advice to celebrate your successes, even the small ones. Celebrating keeps the momentum going. Success breeds success.
|90 Percent Club - Ordinary Employee||10 Percent Club - Extraordinary Employee|
|Easy to manage.||Harder to keep.|
|Not expensive to keep.||Requires more money to keep.|
|Stay long-term in the job.||Moves quickly from one job to another because he or she is highly sought after.|
|Check job sites for the next employment opportunity.||Send target resumes when seeking next employment opportunity.|
When you are seeking a promotion, it’s best to target a position in a department that’s important to the organization. Two such departments are one that’s in a turnaround situation that has a lot of potential, and one that’s high growth that has the potential to become the star unit in the organization. This is very important because these two types of departments allow senior management to notice you. That is, they offer clear visibility to upper management.
How to Get a Promotion Fast: 6 Steps to Career Acceleration
- Step I: Winning Mindset: To get a promotion at work, you need the proper success mindset. Bozi Dar lists eight of them.
- Step 2: Choose Your Perfect Next: It’s important to develop a career advancement plan, so you know what your next position will be. The position should be in either a turnaround department or a high growth one.
- Step 3: Find Your One Big Thing: Your “one big thing” is that thing that will help to distinguish you in the workplace. It’s a flagship project that you can work on for six to 12 months. Structure the project so that it benefits others.
- Step 4: Make Your Boss Work for You: Think about how you can make your boss’ job easier. How can you help your boss to do her job? See the world through her eyes. Employees in the 10 Percent Club are carried by the people who work with them. Learn how to manage your boss. Meet with your boss to talk about your flagship project. Get small commitments along the way from your boss. Let your boss work out your plan for you. You need others to endorse you. These are the kinds of things that will enable you to get a promotion at work.
- Step 5: Grow Fast into You 2.0: How do you grow into your next level job? When you are growing into your next job, you are unlocking the hidden job market. These jobs are created for members of the 10 Percent Club. They’re created for people who can solve important organizational problems.
- Step 6: Become the Key Person of Influence: You can use influence to leverage your one big thing to become 10X more valuable to the organization. Influence gets you into the 10 Percent Club. Get known in the organization, and express and demonstrate a desire to learn. Have conversations to become known. When you are in the 10 Percent Club you are always looking for ideas that could work in your organization.
Mindset Principles That Will Enable You to Get a Promotion Fast
- Value First (Or, how can I help?): Walk a mile in another person’s shoes to see their perspectives and what’s important to them. Give value before you get value. Always think, how can I help?
- I Am the Product: What outcomes do you produce? How do you contribute to the bottom line? Be a premium product.
- Work Smart, Not Hard: Career acceleration is about working smarter. Working smart gets you the results you want.
- Career Success Is in My Hands (Or I’m in Charge and Can do It): Be proactive and take control of your career. No one cares about you or your career more than you.
- Success Patterns Are Learnable: If they can do it, so can you. That mindset leads you to success.
- The Best Jobs Aren’t Advertised: They’re created for the best people. The best jobs are in the hidden job market. Seventy percent of jobs are unadvertised.
- The Compound Effect is the Most Powerful Force in the Universe: Practice simple disciplines every day. Take action IO minutes every day to focus on your career. And do this first thing in the morning.
- Having a Great Career is Fun: Know how to enjoy yourself in your career. You spend a lot of time at work, so you want it to be an enjoyable experience.
How to Get a Promotion Fast: The Influence Ladder
- First Level: Others are talking about your “One Big Thing.” If your project is great others will think you’re great.
- Second Level: Your boss is verbally supporting you. She may even recommend and endorse you.
- Third Level: Written endorsement. Could be in the form of a performance appraisal and career development plan. Your boss recommends a specific role for you.
- Fourth Level: Others talk about how good you are. Evangelized by colleagues and bosses. They are talking about how great you are. Influencers start competing to get you.
How to Get a Promotion Fast: 5 Big Ideas
- Create your own opportunities. Make a strategic plan to influence others to achieve your goals. When you hit roadblocks, don’t change your goals, change your plan.
- Your competitor is YOU.
- Think about this: What job environment, department, or unit, is the right place where your chances of success are higher? What department or unit will give you the highest visibility to upper management. Which departments have big budgets?
- Pursue professional growth and your next job title comes to you. To get a promotion you have to grow.
- Perspective is everything. See the world through the boss ‘eyes. When you understand another’s perspective, your career accelerates.
Promoted by Bozi Dar and 10 Key Skills Needed for Future Jobs
You’ve learned the 10 key skills needed for future jobs, now what? Learning the 10 skills will not necessarily accelerate your career. You have to be savvy at applying what you learn. The contents of Promoted by Bozi Dar, will give you the edge that you need.
In addition, you have to invest time building your network of contacts, so you will learn about the hidden job market. You have to schedule face-to-face meetings. I am writing this for myself as well. As an introvert, I need to schedule more in real life meetings. Start researching business professionals who can sponsor you. A book I recently read, Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor, recommends that you get three sponsors, one in your department, one in another department, and one at a different company. These are some of the tools in your success kit.
Conclusion: How to Get a Promotion Fast – Promoted by Bozi Dar
Many authors use books as a vehicle to sell coaching programs, or more expensive courses. So it’s very important to understand people’s motivation. That’s why transparency is so important. Promoted by Bozi Dar is filled with actionable information, and it’s very much worth the read.
Understand that he wants readers to buy his course. And there is nothing wrong with that, so long as you understand that’s what he is doing. Although I’m an entrepreneur, I was able to use quite a bit of the information to take my business to the next level. If you are creative, you will find a variety of ways to apply the book content. I’ve just scratched the surface of what’s in the book, so it’s worth the time investment to read the book for yourself.
How to Get a Promotion Fast: Two Books to Read
Although The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone is not about getting a promotion, it complements Promoted by Bozi Dar because it puts you in the mindset of taking 10 times action.
If you want to learn how to get a job promotion fast, read Promoted by Bozi Dar, take detailed notes as you are reading, review your notes, then apply what you’ve learned. As I was taking notes while reading the book, I had several notes to myself, as to how I could use specific pieces of information.
UPDATE: First Published May 2016
Related Post: Most Effective Note Taking Techniques – My Experience
Sign-up for the Read the World Challenge, the extreme reading challenge. Participate in the Read the World Facebook Group!
Please take the conversation to my Facebook page.