Kevin Spacey: 3 Elements of Storytelling
Don’t you just love it when you find useful content? While scanning my ContentGems Daily Summary, I noticed “Kevin Spacey Closing Keynote Highlights,” so I decided to click on the link because I thought that the actor, Kevin Spacey should know about storytelling. In the five-and-a-half minute video, the famed actor talks about the 3 elements of storytelling, as well as a few other tips. I think that the ability to tell engaging stories will enable us to write better articles and blog posts that captivate our readers. Effective storytelling is a skill that I am developing, but I am not close to mastering the skill yet.
When Content Marketing Institute founder, Joe Pulizzi asked Spacey for some final storytelling nuggets for conference attendees to take back to work, the actor replied:
- Give it to them, which means to give your readers what they want, what they are craving.
- Get your mind to work at expressing yourself, clearly articulating what you want your readers to know.
- Ask yourself, “What story you would like to tell?”
- Begin simply.
- Build the blocks you need to tell your story.
- Decide on the most compelling way to tell your story.
- Your story is only as good as the material that you are working with.
Kevin Spacey Closing Keynote Highlights – Content Marketing World 2014
If you cannot view the video, click here!
3 Elements of Storytelling
- The story is everything, and a good story has CONFLICT because it keeps your readers engaged. The story becomes richer when you go against the settled order of things, the status quo.
- AUTHENTICITY is key in storytelling. Stay true to your brand and your unique voice because your audience will respond with enthusiasm and passion.
- Your AUDIENCE is the third element of storytelling. It is no longer about who you know, it is about what you can do. The device you use and the length of your story are irrelevant.
Liked this post? Share it on social media and leave a comment as well as subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more! If you’re new to the blog, visit the Start Here page for my pillar posts.
Author Bio: Avil Beckford, an expert interviewer, entrepreneur and published author is passionate about books and professional development, and that’s why she founded The Invisible Mentor and the Virtual Literary World Tour to give you your ideal mentors virtually in the palm of your hands by offering book reviews and book summaries, biographies of wise people and interviews of successful people. Connect with me on Facebook and Twitter.
Book links are affiliate links.